Monday, April 13, 2009

Why I swtiched from Google’s blogger.com

I had to move my blog. You can now find it at http://lacretenoire.wordpress.com/.

What happened?
Google did some maintenance on blogger.com and somehow modified my password. I was locked out. I submitted a request 10 times for a new password email that never came. I pleaded with nonexistent customer support for days, all to no avail. Sometimes I got a cryptic error code with zero intelligible explanation and no promise that it was even being logged or that anyone intended to do anything whatsoever about it . That’s both bad software design and nasty PR. On the way I noticed that some of the Google internal search stuff contained dead links and other such unprofessional quirks. Pretty shoddy for a web company. I’ve also noticed that their desktop search app is inferior to grep text searching tools. Again, quite lame.

I have come inevitably to an unlikely conclusion: Google is incompetent.

Coming back to the office this morning I saw that my iGoogle account was logged in and was able to change my password. This gave me access back to my blog. But the damage is done and I've already moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment